These funfetti chocolate sugar cookies are a delicious way to welcome the holiday season. The recipe is super easy to make so you can whip up dozens at a time to give to your friends and family.
Easy Christmas Cookies
My favorite thing about the holiday season is all the baking I get to do! Cookies are my particular favorite, and these funfetti chocolate sugar cookies are pretty amazing!
They’re equal parts brownie and cookie, with a rich chocolate flavor and a dense, soft texture. The sprinkles make them extra fun and festive, and perfect for holiday parties or go perfectly in a Christmas gift basket.
These are my older daughter’s favorite cookies in the world, and she has almost gotten to the point that she can make them by herself. Her favorite part is rolling the balls and dropping a few extra sprinkles on top.
They are so simple and easy to make that they’re perfect for the busy holiday season. We enjoyed ours with big mugs of warm hot chocolate, and it was chocolatey heaven!
How To Make Chocolate Sugar Cookies
Prep – Before you get started, you’ll want to preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. You’ll also want to either line your cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
Wet Ingredients – To get the best texture you’ll want to start by mixing the wet ingredients first. Grab a large bowl and cream together the butter and sugar until it’s fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla extract until everything has blended together.
Dry Ingredients – Next, in a separate bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (the flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder, baking soda & cream of tartar).
Combine – Pour the dry ingredients into the bowl of wet ingredients and mix together until the dough forms.
Add Color – Fold in the Christmas colored sprinkles until they are well distributed.
Roll’em – Roll the dough out into 12 equal sized balls and place them on the prepared baking sheet.
Extra Color – Sprinkle each dough ball with a few extra sprinkles on top for a nicer presentation.
Cook – Bake the chocolate sugar cookies in the preheated oven for exactly 8 minutes.
Cool – Remove the cookies and let cool 5-10 minutes on the baking sheet before removing to a cooling rack. The cookies will look very soft and undercooked when you pull them out, but they will cook more as they cool on the pan.
Soft Dough – If your dough is fairly soft when you roll it into balls, I would recommend chilling it at this point for about 30 minutes before baking them.
Other Occasions – These chocolate sugar cookies are perfect for other holidays has well. You could easily swap out the sprinkles to adapt them to any holiday, but I think they are pretty darn cute with the Christmas colored sprinkles. 🙂
More Sugar Cookie Recipes
- Lemon Sugar Cookie Bars
- Halloween Mummy Sugar Cookies
- Simple Turkey Sugar Cookies
- 10 Minute Easy Sugar Cookies
- Chocolate Strawberry Sugar Cookies
Easy Funfetti Chocolate Sugar Cookies Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350. Line a baking sheet with parchment or a silicone baking mat. In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla until well blended.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cream of tartar. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until a dough forms. Fold in sprinkles until well distributed.
- Shape into 12 equal sized balls and place on the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle each ball with a few extra sprinkles for a nicer presentation. If your dough is fairly soft, I would recommend chilling it at this point for about 30 minutes. If your dough is thick (like mine was), bake in the preheated oven for exactly 8 minutes.
- Remove and let cool 5-10 minutes on the baking sheet before removing to a cooling rack. The cookies will look very soft and undercooked when you pull them out, but they will cook more as they cool on the pan.