5 ingredient cream of broccoli soup is on the menu! Grab your spoon and let’s eat!
Today, we are going to make a Cream of Broccoli Soup where the broccoli stays green and the rest of the soup keeps its lovely creamy hue. The best part? It’s super easy and only takes five ingredients.
First, you’ll want to get a large head of broccoli. Cut off the stem and cut the florets into bite-sized pieces, then steam them until they are the perfect color and texture.
Tips & affiliate links for your convenience:
- You’ll have about 4 cups of florets, but it’s not necessary to measure.
- I use a microwave steamer that takes only 3 minutes.
- You can steam the broccoli in a steamer basket over boiling water on the stove (covered) for ten minutes.
For the base of the soup, you are going to melt butter in a large pot over medium-low heat. I just add the flour and salt and stir everything together with a whisk while the butter is melting. Once the butter and flour have melded together into a “roux,” start adding the milk. I add about 1/2 to 1 cup of the milk and stir it with the whisk until everything is smooth and there are no lumps. Then I add the rest of the milk, turn up the heat to medium-high and stir continuously until the soup thickens, making sure the bottom doesn’t burn.
Once your soup has reached a lovely, thick texture (enough to coat the back of a spoon) remove it from the heat and carefully add your steamed broccoli.
Voila! You are done! You have beautiful, healthy soup that tastes amazing! Be sure to store the leftovers, because you will not want to waste one drop!
Cream of Broccoli Soup
- 6 Tbps. butter
- 6 Tbsp. flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 large head of broccoli, cut into bite-sized pieces and steamed
- 4 cups milk
- In a large pan on the stove, melt butter over medium-low heat. Add flour and salt and stir briefly until a thick paste is formed.
- Add about 1 cup of the milk and stir with a whisk until there are no lumps.
- Add the rest of the milk and turn the heat up to medium-high. Stir frequently. After about five minutes, stir constantly while the soup thickens.
- When the soup is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, remove from heat and add the steamed broccoli.
- Ladle into bowls and serve.