Made with broccoli, milk, butter, salt, and flour, this Cream of Broccoli Soup is creamy, delicious, and so easy to make!
Easy Cream of Broccoli Soup
Warm Cream of Broccoli Soup is a comforting classic that tastes amazing on a chilly day! It’s one of the easiest soup recipes to prepare when the weather is cold outside.
It is a great stand-alone meal, but it also tastes fantastic with a grilled cheese sandwich.
While other broccoli cheese soup recipes are filled with heavy cream and goes through an immersion blender or food processor to puree it, this soup is made in just one saucepan with milk as a base. There’s no sauteing onions or garlic or chopping up carrots, celery or other time-consuming veggies. This cream of broccoli soup recipe is fast and full of flavor!
Here is how to make it –
How to Make Cream of Broccoli Soup
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups milk
- steamed broccoli – I like to use a store-bought steamable bag of broccoli florets (10.8 oz) but you can cut the stems off of 1 large head of broccoli and steam the florets in a steamer basket on the stove.
- shredded cheddar cheese, for garnish (optional)
MAKE A ROUX. For the base of the soup, you are going to melt butter in a large pot over medium-low heat. I just add the flour and salt and stir everything together with a whisk while the butter is melting.
ADD THE MILK. Once the butter and flour have melded together into a roux, start adding the milk.
STIR. I add about 1/2 to 1 cup of the milk and stir it with the whisk until everything is smooth and there are no lumps. Then I add the rest of the milk, turn up the heat to medium-high, and stir continuously until the soup thickens, making sure the bottom doesn’t burn.
ADD THE BROCCOLI. Once your soup has reached a lovely, thick texture (enough to coat the back of a spoon) remove it from the heat and carefully add your steamed broccoli. Stir gently to blend.
GARNISH WITH CHEESE. Sprinkle some cheese on top and you’ve got a delicious dinner in a bowl! A beautiful, healthy soup that tastes amazing!
You can add a pinch of salt and/or black pepper according to your taste, but I never need it.
STORAGE. Store the leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week. You can let it cool, then pour into a freezer bag and keep it in the freezer for 3-4 months. Empty contents from the bag and reheat in the microwave or simmer on the stove over medium heat until heated through.
More EASY Soup Recipes –
HERE’S A PRINTABLE RECIPE CARD FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE –
Cream of Broccoli Soup
- In a large pan on the stove, melt butter over medium-low heat. Add flour and salt and stir briefly until a thick paste is formed.
- Add about 1 cup of the milk and stir with a whisk until there are no lumps.
- Add the rest of the milk and turn the heat up to medium-high. Stir frequently. After about five minutes, stir constantly while the soup thickens.
- When the soup is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, remove from heat and add the steamed broccoli.
- Ladle into bowls, garnish with shredded cheddar cheese, and serve.