This peach coffee cake is simple to throw together and tastes spectacular! It’s perfect for breakfast, brunch, snacking, or dessert.
If you love a good crumb topping on your baked goods like we do, be sure to check out a few more of our favorite recipes – Apple Crumb Muffins, Cherry Streusel Bars, Pumpkin Streusel Muffins, Banana Cinnamon Muffins, and The BEST Blueberry Crumb Muffins!
A Sweet Breakfast Treat
Does it get any better than cake you can eat for breakfast? In my world, no. This peach streusel coffee cake is what breakfast dreams are made of. A perfectly fluffy base with deliciously sweet peaches all covered in a sugary crumb topping!
It’s not too sweet, which means the peach flavor shines through without overpowering, and the buttery streusel topping adds a delicious taste and texture – and I’m not ashamed to admit that I pick it off and eat with my fingers! Did I mention this coffee cake is also SUPER simple to make? Deliciously easy meals are kind of my jam, and this one is a piece of cake. Literally.
How To Make Peach Coffee Cake
Make The Peach Filling – Add the peaches and water to a saucepan. Next, you’ll bring everything to a simmer over medium heat. Cover the pan and let everything simmer for about 5 minutes or until the peaches are nice and tender.
While the peaches are simmering, in a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and sugar. Once the peaches are soft, mix in the cornstarch mixture and then let everything continue to simmer for an additional 2-3 minutes. The mixture should have thickened a little at this point. Remove the peaches from the heat and set it aside to cool
Make The Coffee Cake – To make the peach coffee cake, you’ll whisk together the sugar, flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl. Next, you’ll cut in the butter using either a pastry blender or two knives. You’ll do this until the mixture looks like coarse crumbs. In a separate small bowl, whisk the buttermilk, eggs and vanilla together. Pour the wet ingredients into the flour mixture and mix everything until it just combines.
The Streusel Topping – In a small mixing bowl, you’ll want to whisk together the flour, sugar and salt. Next, you’ll mash in the butter using your fingers until the mixture resembles coarse crumbles.
Assemble & Bake – Now comes the fun part of assembling the peach coffee cake. Grab a 9×9 baking pan and spray it down with some cooking spray. First, you’ll want to spread about 2/3 of the cake mixture in the bottom of the pan. Next, you’ll spread the peach filling over the top of the cake batter.
After that, grab a spoon and drop the remaining batter over the top of the peach filling. It’s okay if the peach filling is completely covered. Finally, sprinkle the streusel topping over the batter. Once everything is assembled, you’ll bake it for 40-45 minutes or until it’s a light golden brown color on top.
More Sweet Breakfast Ideas
- Sweet & Fluffy Pancakes
- The Best Ever Cinnamon Rolls
- Easy German Pancakes
- Pumpkin Pancake Recipe
- Delicious Chocolate Chip Waffles
Let us know if you make this peach coffee cake by leaving us a comment in the section below, or by tagging us on social media.
Peach Coffee Cake Recipe
for the peach filling:
- 2 cups fresh peaches, peeled, pitted, and chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
for the cake:
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
for the streusel:
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. To make the filling, add the peaches and water to a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cover and simmer five minutes, or until the peaches are tender. While the peaches are simmering, whisk together the sugar and corn starch. After the peaches have softened, stir in the sugar mixture and continue to simmer 2-3 minutes, or until slightly thickened. Remove from heat and let cool while you make the cake.
- To make the cake, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Cut in the butter using a pastry blender or two knives, until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl or measuring cup, mix together the egg, buttermilk, and vanilla, then pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined.
- Spray a 9 x 9 baking dish with cooking spray. Spread about 2/3 of the cake mixture in the bottom of the dish. Spread the peach mixture over the top of the cake batter. Drop the remaining cake batter on top by spoonfuls (it's okay to not cover the full surface). In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, and salt. Smush in the butter with your fingers until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle the topping evenly over the top of the cake. Bake 40-45 minutes, or until light golden brown on top.