Waffle Tacos are the best of both taco worlds! The crisp edges give it the crunch of a hard shell taco, but the soft inside gives it the chewiness of a soft taco. Everyone gets fed, and everyone is happy!
Last month my husband and I moved to Philly – our first move since college! And as much as I adore my new kitchen (it’s actually big enough for two people!), convenience has been the king of our diets, which means we’ve been eating out a LOT! But in an effort to eat healthier and save a little bit of money, I started experimenting with some recipes that are healthy, delicious, easy and convenient. This one right here has been on repeat. (I think we’ve had it 3 or 4 times now!) Because what’s more delicious than tacos?! And what’s more convenient than a toaster waffle, am I right? So despite our “lack-of-time” and “boxes-everywhere” limitations, I present you with *drumroll please* the WAFFLE TACO!
How to Make Waffle Tacos
Due to my allergy restrictions, I made my tacos gluten-free and vegetarian, but you can make yours however you’d like! This crockpot chicken taco recipe would be amazing on these waffles, but I’ll share how I made my Veggie Waffle Tacos too!
Note – Waffle Tacos are served best with piping hot waffles, warm meat (if you’re adding meat) and chilled fillings. , so the first thing you’ll want to do is prep all your fillings so you’re ready to go!
- cook your meat
- dice your veggies (tomatoes, onions, etc)
- make your guacamole + salsa
- shred your lettuce
- slice your olives, etc.
When your toppings are ready, toast your waffles in a toaster until they are warm and crispy. Top them with your desired toppings, and serve immediately!
Veggie Waffle Tacos
For my Gluten-Free Veggie Waffle Tacos, I started with Van’s Gluten-Free Flax Waffles. I stuffed them with chilled corn and black bean salad and some creamy guacamole. They are topped with a sprinkle of salty cotija cheese and will be ready to go in a flash! Here is the recipe –
Waffle Tacos (Vegetarian-Style)
- 10 frozen waffles
- 2 oz cotija cheese, crumbled
- 2 ripe avocados, smashed
- 1/2 red onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 limes
- 1 ear of corn, shucked
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 can black beans, well rinsed
- Heat a pan over your stove on medium heat. Spray with nonstick spray and ad shucked corn. You might want to turn on your vent fan as there will be some smoke. Cook for 8 minutes, rotating 2 or 3 times to grill evenly.
- Meanwhile, add the smashed avocados, the minced garlic, 1/3 of the cilantro and 1/3 of the onion in a small bowl. Squeeze the juice of 1 lime over the top and blend with a fork until creamy. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge. (Note: The wrap should make contact with the guac to keep it green)
- Remove the corn kernels and place in a Tupperware, along with the black beans, juice of 1 lime, and the remaining onion & cilantro. Cover and store in the fridge.
- When you're ready to serve, toast the waffles until hot and crisp. Layer on 1 scoop of guacamole, plenty of bean salad, and sprinkle with cheese.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
What do you think?